PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tie Tuesday (Congressman John Lewis)

I met Congressman John Lewis a few years ago and got a chance to sit with him in his office in Washington, DC.  I sat and listened for hours as he shared his personal stories about the civil rights movement.  I was in awe.  Speechless.  

The fact that he held no bitterness, no anger and no malicious feelings about his experience impacted me.  It takes a special person to live in a place of peace after that journey.  I was humbled by his presence and vowed to do my best to emulate that in my own life.  

Congressman Lewis joined tens of thousands of people on the National Mall this past Saturday to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1963 March on Washington.  He was a featured speaker at the march and urged the crowd to continue to fight for equality. He also expressed his outrage about the recent high court decision on voting rights by stating, "I gave a little blood on the bridge in Selma, Alabama, for that right to vote."

Take a look at Congressman Lewis' full remarks here: 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment