The dramady (drama + comedy) is based on a true story. It follows Piper Chapman, a woman in her 30's, who by all accounts was living a pretty normal life. Right up until she's arrested & sentenced to 15 months in prison for a decade old drug crime. It's not a pretty story. Nope. It's not warm and fuzzy. It's totally unpredictable and real. Just like life. And that's why I love it.
The actors' connection to their characters and each other is rare. You can tell they're smart actors. The characters they bring to life are far from perfect. They're flawed and complicated. And even sweet sometimes. I found myself empathizing with convicted murderers. Crazy, right?
If you haven't had a chance to watch the show, go and check it out. You won't be disappointed! And it's available on Netflix only, so you can view it any time, any place, anywhere you want. Swag.
Here are a few of my favorite lines from the show:
- "I'm not going crazy. I'm surrounded by crazy, but I'm not going crazy." -Chapman
- "Chocolate and vanillllllla swirrr-earl. Swirrr-earl." -Crazy Eyes
- "I'm gettin' out b*tches!" -Taystee (no typo)
- "You need to man up." -Sophia's wife
- "I do like I do." -Crazy Eyes
- "Dear Mr. Christ..." - Chapman
- "Dandelion...." -Crazy Eyes