PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 11, 2013

When Keeping It Real Goes Toooootally Wrong - Dad Whips Daughters For...

It's no secret, I'm not a parent.  But, I love kids.  I really do.  And I know, I KNOW the laws of life say it's not cool or appropriate for me to have strong opinions about raising kids, disciplining children or the failure of the American public education system.    *side-eye*   *slow-blinking*   *long-sigh*

Anywho. 

Before I start, take a look at the video below.  It shows a father "whipping" his 12 and 14 year-old daughters for posting a video of themselves "twerking" on Facebook.  Twerking? 

Twerking = Lewd, sexually suggestive dancing; usually done by young females. 

Take a look.... (WARNING: It's pretty graphic.)



Now, listen.  I wholeheartedly believe in disciplining kids.  Children have to be taught right from wrong.  They need structure in their lives and they need parents to guide and support them as they grow.  I get it.  

But this video is disturbing.  On one hand, I understand this father's anger and frustration.  Young girls should not be doing this.  They shouldn't.  It's not right.  It's totally inappropriate and unacceptable behavior.  Can we all agree on that?  Yes? Ok-good.

However, on the other hand, I'm totally not OK with a parent (or anyone for that matter) using a cable wire to whip a kid in such a brutal way.  That too, is totally inappropriate and unacceptable.   The beating left the girls with welts on their legs, open wounds and bruises, and the father was ultimately arrested on child abuse charges.   


All in all, this is a sad situation.  I'm certain this father was doing what he thought was best.  And those girls?  They were being teenagers.  And we all know that teenagers oftentimes do stupid things.  Still no excuse though.   

There are plenty of experts who say spanking kids is OK.  And people's views on punishing children differ based on culture, race and generational influences.  In fact, one of my friends said to me recently, "I was never spanked, but I was slapped upside the head all the time by my dad when I was younger and I turned out fine."  *blank stare*   

Disciplining children with extreme violence just seems so barbaric, ineffective and downright wrong on many, many levels. The result is fear, not respect.  And pain doesn't always = obedience.  
But, hey what do I know?  I'm not a parent.  So take what I say with a grain a salt.  Pay me no mind.  I'll just go on about my way and keep on raising my dog....  *sips smoothie* 





No comments:

Post a Comment