PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tie Tuesday (Jason Collins)

I'm toooooootalllly loving NBA player Jason Collins right now.  He did something so remarkably brave yesterday. His unwavering courage makes my heart smile.  I don't know him, but I sure wish I did.  He's best known for his basketball skills, but his legacy will be the news he recently shared with Sports Illustrated: 

                                         "I'm a 34-year old NBA center.  I'm black.  And I'm gay."

So, here he is.  The first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport.  Wow.  I mean...wow!   



After I read Jason's story, I was reminded of how important it is to live a life that's genuine and true.  It takes so much courage to live your life as YOU see fit.  It shouldn't be that way though.  It really shouldn't.  We should be able to live and think as freely as we wish.  In doing so, maybe we can help others along the way.  I know Jason's announcement will help others.  It will help some people embrace who they are and it will also help our country to become more compassionate.  

I'm convinced that being who you are and living in that truth is the path to happiness. Trusting yourself and making choices without fear is just...dope.  Point blank period.  Sound simple?  Not always.  But, it's sooooo worth it.      


Click here to read Jason's Sports Illustrated article. 


No comments:

Post a Comment